Monday, October 02, 2006

Doesn't Matter What's Chasing You...

Things in school just have a life of their own and it starts clear back in Kindergarten for me.

Our play area was a covered blacktop area and a bark filled play area with all the things that are usually associated with school playgrounds. As Kindergarteners, we were isolated from the rest of the school. The playground was all ours!

Kindergarten was separated into two classes in Harvey Green Elementary. I don’t know how it started or what it was about, but a group of three boys from the other class began chasing me during our recess. They would chase me through and around the playground and even out across the blacktop area. I must have been fast because I cannot remember them ever catching me.

One day while the chase was in process, I decided to take the chase out of the bark and out onto the blacktop and to open it up. I was fast and the on the blacktop I was sure I could demonstrate my true speed.

The blacktop, as I mentioned, was covered. To support this covering, there were several I-beams that extended from the blacktop and up to the top of the roof. I did not account for these obstacles when I began my gallop. My head was turned as I was watching behind me, watching the boys fade into the background and feeling just a bit proud of my obvious speed.. I was all smiles when I casually glanced forward to map out my new direction and continuation of my demonstration of superiority over my pursuers.

The smile and my consciousness disappeared quickly as I spied and simultaneously collided with the column directly in my path. I am sure both arms and both legs extended out and around the I-beam and I came to an immediate stop. I don’t remember anything else that happen. I don’t remember ever again being chased by those boys. And I don’t remember ever learning this lesson any more clearly at any other time in my life…

It doesn’t matter what’s chasing you, it’s best to watch where you are going.

No comments: