Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Science Fair

Marci and I spent the day involved in yet another Science Fair. This time, however, it was to support our oldest in his appearance at the District level. I noted several things:

1) Isn't it cool that there are students and parents that are interested enough in education and learning to show up to a volunteer event like this? The kids may get extra credit, but they also have to re-study their projects and take time to defend them to judges. It's encouraging.

2) I have to laugh at the parents who are more serious then the students. I guess I should say more intense. They are forced off the floor during judging, they practice the responses with the students before and they are the ones video-taping the award ceremony. I love my kids, but there is a time to let them fly and does anyone REALLY watch those videos?

3) Even though I give them credit for sponsoring an event like yesterday, I still don't the District gets it. You may not have the social attachment, but why not treat the event like it was important. What if this was the District Championship for Basketball, or football, or what if the whole world was watching? Put some flash or some showmanship in the thing. Like most events, it was more of the same. When an organization puts value into something, the participants will feel like its more valuable.

I am very proud of my oldest, even if he didn't win one of the trophies. I am proud of what he knows and the effort he puts into learning it. Anyone who dares ask him a question will soon find out just how serious he takes his education as you will receive one yourself.

No comments: