Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Better Left To Chance

It’s always shocking the first morning that there is snow on the lawn.

I had actually heard the forecast the day before warning us. I had felt the cool air as the storm blew in during the afternoon. I had seen the snow pellets mixed within the raindrops as the storm began to hit. Yet for some reason, as I looked out the window on Sunday morning, the inch of white on the lawn still surprised me.

I do this a lot, but not just with the first snow but with a lot of different things. I can be told its coming or happening, see all the warning signs as it approaches, and then go “OMG!” when it happens.

Am I really that dumb? Or am I just that faithless. I would worry more about it but I think there are many who are equally faithless. They, just like me, don‘t believe anything will ever happen until it does. That’s the definition of a true conservative right. Someone who believes nothing should ever be done for the first time.

Luckily, life does not wait for the unbelievers to believe before it decides to act.
Life just moves forward. It waits for no one, no event, or no declaration of readiness. It just moves forward.

And luckily it does. Life would be dull and uneventful if it actually waited for us to be ready. If everything only happened because we wanted it to or were ready to accept it or thought it was a good idea, I doubt that life would be worth living at all.

I may be faithless but it keeps my life exciting.

No comments: