Friday, July 21, 2006

Same Place, Different Time

(Written yesterday) I' m sitting in my backyard and thinking how amazing it is that the same place, the exact location where I am right now sitting, will in six months be covered in snow. It is nearly 100 degrees today and yet the day will come that it will be below freezing.

I hear that the sun is like 90,000,000 miles away, yet the simple shifting of the axis- leaning towards or away from the sun- can push the limits of our existence. Let's say the earth is 8,000 miles across the wide section, and the tilt swings us 4000 miles one way or the other, that means our ability to live on this planet is dependent on staying within 1/22500th of our distance from the sun. Any shift inside or outside of that paper-thin tolerance would spell certain doom for all of us.

Maybe you are thinking "so what"?!! I am just amazed at how fragile our life can be, how very small things make enormous differences and how insignificant my efforts are to anything really important.

My efforts, therefore, can and should be fearless. I cannot alter the axis tilt of the earth. I cannot even make myself grow up one inch. (Growing out, however, is quite simple to do.) So why not go for it? Why not just ignore the things that hold us back from what we really want? Why fear "no's", "You're crazy's" and "you can't do that's"? Why not just cut loose and tear it up. Preferably while the earth is tilting your part of the world towards the sun.

No comments: