Thursday, June 28, 2007

Work With What You Got

“What a mess!” I thought as I approached the beaver pond. The place was a mess. There were sticks and logs everywhere! They may be industrious, these beavers, but they are not neat about it!

There’s a certain beauty to nature and its irregularity, and I appreciate it. But on my early morning walk, I just found the place to be pushing my limits.

As I sat there contemplating the order-challenged, dam-building, lodge-building, fat, furry, flat tailed, swimming rats, I saw several trout rising in the cool waters of the pond. They were leisurely partaking of the early morning fly population that was equally enjoying the environment provided. Obviously the fish and flies didn’t have the disconnection like I was experiencing and just used the pond as it was.

Several hummingbirds were also buzzing about the pond. Along with several other aviary creatures, life was bristling forward towards the new day. I was the only one with the problem.

I inspected the dam more closely. It was a typical construction as I have seen elsewhere. The beavers had actually done a good job. It must be tough competing for good wood with all the campers that share the neighborhood.

This pond shares its location with hundreds of sets of campers every week. The traffic makes it hard, I imagine, to keep up the pond maintenance. The working hours must be restrictive. We all know how hard it is to work when everyone is just standing around watching, like you know the campers would do.

I would venture to guess that the beavers don’t have a lot of say where they get to build and keep a dam. They don’t’ get to cruise to Home Depot for supplies. They don’t even have “How-to” books, clinics, or TV shows, yet despite all the difficulties, the pond exists and it does the job for all the “important” users.

I guess it’s all the same; the beavers probably wouldn’t be impressed with my keep of my desk either.

No comments: