Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Book Smart

Reading the book "Pavlov's Trout" by Paul Quinnett early this morning, I read "A line in the water is a hope extended".

I read that line, that was placed by itself on the page, in between two paragraphs, and I stopped and read it again. I liked it. It rang true, it made the point of the author at the time. It was simple, it was profound, and it was memorable. I have reflected on it over and over today in my head and each time it makes me smile.

I won't try to explain what exactly the author meant, if you're that interested- read the book. Nor will I try to explain more on what it meant to me but just that I just love it when an author gets it right. They bring the message home with the simple correct combination of words. I love it! It makes reading worth reading. We've all had it happened at one time or another. A sentence just makes us go "That was good!" I can't even define what exactly happens other than the wording is...well, just right.

Mark Twain once said that the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lighting and a lighting bug.

Likewise, getting the wording right and almost getting the wording right is like...reading a good book or reading a blog.

Present company excepted of course.

No comments: