Monday, August 23, 2010

These Kids These Days

My wife and I explained to the kids how in the old days, when you played a video game- like Pitfall for example- you only had so many lives. If you got lucky and additional lives were awarded to you, one could play for the 2-3 hours it would take to complete a game. Run out of lives in the process and you had to start all over again. From the very beginning. (Cue evil music.)

Games today, as we have learned through the child raising years, have checkpoints. And if you die, you just go back or "spawn" at the last check point and continue. No enduring boring level 1 for the billionth time just to die once arriving at the oddly swinging vines and missing your timing for the billionth and one time.(Cue evil music once again) This new way seems like cheating to me. To be able to just die and pick back up where you were is without consequence, without... without... Well it just doesn't seem right!

Not right, maybe cheating, but obviously better.

Blog readers, I have sinned. I have left my blogging ways and have been really, really bad about updates.

Fellow writers, I have sinned. I have like taken almost the entire summer off from writing on any kind of consistent basis and have fallen off the creative wagon.

I am sorry and I am in the process to remedy this situation.

But as I have learned from the kids these days, I don't have to start all over. I just need to "spawn" at the last check point and go at it again.

So...

Spawning.

(Cue happy music)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the light! Glad you are forsaking the errors of your ways, lol. Get some words down!!

Levi Montgomery said...

One really cool way that life is like video games. And in the best cheater games, when you respawn, you have everything you had when you died! Kill everybody in level one and then jump in a hole. Repeat until your blaster is fully upgraded before going on to level two.

So get some words down, dude!