Monday, January 28, 2013

Cold Hard Fishing

I love fishing but I have not been doing enough of it lately. So today, I'll share a video today that I found through Twitter:

http://vimeo.com/58265378

I love winter fishing as well. The narrator in the video mentions that it's slower fishing in the winter. It could be that I'm just not as good of a fisherman as he and so it's always slow for me, but I never noticed winter to be any slower action than summer. I'm a little bit slower, but that could be because I'm cold.

Winter fishing is different in a couple ways. You have to wear a lot more clothes which can hamper your maneuverability and add additional discomfort if you fall in. (Which I haven't). It's different because you have to fight your line freezing on the guides- a big problem with a fish on. And I found that I secretly hope that the fly comes free once I have a great look at the fish and have it within netting distance. I don't want to have to get my hands wet.


I have been out, in the river, when it's as cold as -5. Some will think that's way too cold. Others will call me a baby. "Cold doesn't start until -20!" So says the Great Lakes fishermen. Either way, for me- yes it was cold but it provided the best part of winter fishing.

You see, the best part of winter fishing, especially on the river and as the video points out, is that I usually have the water to myself.

I love fishing. I love it even more when it's just me, the river, and the fish.



No comments: