Monday, January 07, 2013

Not Miserable

I am reading the book, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
Wow! What a read.
It amazes me when you have in your hands the work of a great writer. I am astounded how the feelings and descriptions of persons- the inside stuff- is still so much the same and how if you were a good writer then, you would be good now.
That all being said, it also is evident the change in style. This book, I believe, would struggle to reach publication today. The odd narrative and the fact of being so wordy and long would set this book outside of today's standards. Even the other day, watching people at the bookstore who noticed the book for sale, liked the price of $8 but winced at the 900 pages. I did not see anyone actually buy it but many said they would like to read it someday; influenced I am sure by the movie, the reason I decided to finally read the book now as well.
 I love reading many of the older classic novels and have set in my mind to read more of them. My fight throughout my school years of not wanting to read have left me a blind spot. They are not like eating vegetables, however, at least not anymore. They are the desert and I am glad I am reading them now, when I can appreciate them.

No comments: