Thursday, December 01, 2005

Don't Look In The Classifieds

What is a futurist?

Yesterday I quoted John Shaar. When I quote someone, I like to study who they are (or were) and get to know a little bit about the person. John Shaar was listed as a "futurist". I'm puzzled.

What is a futurist and how does one become one. Can you study other futurists? Wouldn't that be living in the past. Can you emulate a futurist? Isn't that living in the present? If you try to be what a futurist might be- could you be greatly wrong?

Were there more futurist in the past and the only ones we quote are the ones that guessed right about the future? Of course that's the beauty of being a futurist- no one will know you're making it up until long after you're wrong.

In a way, it's a step better than a meterologist. They are only right 50% of the time, but they have to face their subjects the next day. A futurist may never have to be accountable for what they say, and have a 50% chance of being famous. Of course they are only famous in the future.

I think I'll keep my day job.

No comments: