Thursday, December 08, 2005

Just because sheep and cows do it...

When I was 14 and 15, I spent two summers in Alaska working at a gold mine. We had several different vehicles and equipment and at 14 I was more than delighted to be able to learn how to drive and operate the different trucks, tractors and front end loaders. All my friends back home were still confined to bikes and buses.

We had two Chevy pick-ups in the camp. One was a newer blue four wheel drive. It was the "Cadillac' of the camp. The other pick up was "The Green one". It was older, faded green- not a good green either, two wheel drive and no frills. The suspension was tired and for 1980- it was a pioneer to the low rider craze that was just around the corner.

The Green One is the truck I got to drive more than any other vehicle. The back window was missing so it was always cold when you drove it. You had to be careful where you drove, because the two wheel drive and dirt roads were not always compatible. And for some reason it was always available.

The steering was probably it's most notable feature. It barely had any. It wasn't power assisted to begin with and the years of Alaska wilderness life had made for a lot of "slop" in the steering. You could practically turn the wheel 3/4 turn before it did anything! This made us all joke that no one could "steer" that truck- you just kind of "herded" it down the road.

I have since found this trait popping up in different parts of my life every now and then. I don't always steer toward my goals, sometimes I just kind of herd things along. The thought is always: "As long as you don't veer too far off the course and are going in the right direction- everything is fine".

Everything is not fine. Although I survived the truck experience- I was lucky. I was somewhere where I didn't have to dart in and out of traffic. There were no other cars to worry about, but what if some moose had jumped out in front of me? Are my goals something just to leave to chance and hope that no obstacles will happen?

Herding was "OK" in the sticks of Alaska. Herding might even be good for sheep and cattle or even the reindeer herds of the north, but I don't think it's good enough for my personal life direction and goals. Give me power steering in my life or give me...

Just give me power steering.

No comments: