Monday, December 19, 2005

Yearnings of a Young Boy's Heart

Every Christmas everyone watches "A Christmas Story". The story about the little boy who wants his Red Ryder 200 Shot Range Model Air Rifle. It's a cute story, but it is also one that I know well.

I, at one time many Cristmas' ago, wanted a Crossman 760 Pump bolt action air rifle. It's all I wanted. I asked for it, dreamed about it, and just couldn't live without one. It was on Christmas morning that the dream was realized. Much like the story on the movie, I also got my air rifle as the last gift- just at the point of despair.

It was everything I dreamed of. I had looked at the one at K-Mart so many times that there was no surprise in the detail. It was beautiful. My mother was worried, my father wad proud, and I was about to embark on an adventure.

It probably only took a few days to clear every bird in a ten mile radius from our house. I routinely shot the icicles off of the houses as a service project... that was until I cracked a window. After that I was forbidden to shoot the gun within city limits. A rule I occasionally obeyed.

We lived in Reno, Nevada at the time. I had many occasions to load up the gun and head out into the desert. I eventually grew more respectful for life and stopped shooting the birds and such, and just went to shooting targets. The gun was everything I ever wanted. It went with me everywhere and introduced me to the world of firearms that would play a bigger part of my life later- in the wilds of Alaska.

But the bottom line, knowing what I know now, if one of my kids starts bugging me for a B-B gun- no matter what make or model- my answer is NO! Young boys cannot be trusted and You can shoot your eye out.

No comments: