Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Coming Of Age In A Brown Bubbly World

I actually like Diet Coke. I didn't always feel that way, but once one has ventured down the diet soda path, it is hard to stop. Much like the Dark Side of the Force, I imagine. Regular or "leaded" soda is just too thick and too sweet, and I was seduced by the more graceful, albeit more bitter, taste of the Diet Side.

This, however, is not to say that I am on a diet! Some might say I should be on a diet and I watch what I eat- to a certain degree- OK, so I really don't, but I am not on a diet nor am I admitting that I need to be on a diet when I order a Diet Coke.

I do not believe that if I was on a diet, diet soda would be the key component of that diet. It's not a health issue, it's a "I'm over 18 now and the sugar just amps me up too much" issue.

I wish we could just call it Coke Lite, or Sugar-Free Coke, or maybe even Adult Coke. Unfortunately the name Diet is well in place and will be around for a while.

I just hate the look on the cashier's face when I order a Classic Triple with cheese, Biggie size and Diet Coke. It's that look of , "Yeah that's going to offset the rest of it!"

I like Diet Coke. I like it and no matter what they call it, no matter what one may think, no matter the mocking looks from people who will forever ask "Do you want fries with that?", I will drink it and I am not on a diet.

I'm just more mature.

No comments: