Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Hanging Around

"Hanging out with friends" is actually an activity I saw listed by an applicant under the category of "other interests".

Whatever happened to hunting, fishing, hiking, football, kayaking, playing in my band, or any other true interests? Have we really got to the point where "hanging out" is an interest?

Not that there isn't too much terribly wrong with hanging out once in a while, but to list it as an interest?

Do I need to list such activities in my "other interests"? Should I list eating? How about sleeping, showering, etc?. All told they do occupy an significant amount of time in my life. Do such items help in the decision of employment?

Actually in the case of the above mentioned applicant, I guess it did. He didn't get the job.

"The man who lets himself be bored is even more contemptible than the bore". --Samuel Butler

No comments: