Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Step Away From The Tray!


While in St Louis, I ate at a number of fine restaurants, but, like most people, after a while, I needed some "real" food. I had heard of a Wendy's being somewhere near my hotel, so on a beautiful afternoon, I set out to find it.

Straight up the street from my hotel, the Adam's Mark, on the corner of Chesnut and 6th street, I found my culinary refuge. A taste of reality. Finally a quick fried burger, fries and a Diet Coke. (I'll talk about Diet Coke tomorrow). I ordered, was served and found my place in the dining room.

Not very much time passed and I was greeted by a lady who was "working" the dining room. She said hello and then commented on the group I was with. She had noticed my conference badge and had already discussed the group's "raison d'etre" with others. I was impressed how she had actually taken time to be informed about her customers and she was quite welcoming to talk to. It just added to the whole "homey" feeling.

She made her visit brief, I am sure she sense my feeling of joy of sitting down to eat- by myself, no salesmen, no call to impress, just good old fashion fast food!

I finished eating, stacked everything nicely on my tray and stood up. But as I reached for the tray, as if to pick it up and carry it over to the trash bin, a voice boomed from behind me as if on a loud speaker,

"Step away from the tray! I know you weren't even thinking about picking up that tray. You just leave it right there and I'll get it."

I spun around, shocked and not sure what was going on. I was greeted by laughter as the lady who was so pleasant before, came over and picked up my tray and wished me a good day and welcomed me back soon.

I was so surprised that I just smiled and laughed back. I even thanked her for letting me eat at "her place" and walked out the door with a smile beaming across my face. Life was beautiful at that moment in time.

Others may prefer the fancy restaurants with the waiters, waitresses, and busboys. But I know who I am and where I come from and I'll take the good ol' folk atmosphere of a fast food place any day. And if I ever find myself in St. Louis again, I'll be finding myself at that Wendy's!

No comments: