Thursday, November 03, 2005

Out of the Closet

I am a rocker. No I don't hang sheetrock, I just like good rock music. However on occasion, I like to check in on the "other side" and listen to a Country station. Let me say two things about Country.

1. I do not say Country Music for that would be an oxy-moron.

2. I think it is a test from God that the strongest stations on the radio dial are Country stations. Are you strong enough to pass on by and look for "Good" music?

Anyway, on one afternoon while driving, our station scanner stopped on a country station and we heard a song that just made us laugh. The title is "Drunker than me". I'll include part of the lyrics here:

I ain't tryin' to ruin your good time.
But I damn sure ain't lettin' yours ruin mine.

You ain't gonna ruin my good time, baby.


I keep worryin' about who's drivin' home,

Who's got the keys, who's got the 'phone.

Who'll pay the bill, call a cab.

I don't mean to make you mad,

But I don't want that responsibility,

An' I can't be with a woman, baby, who gets drunker than me.

No, I can't be with a woman, baby, who gets drunker than me, yeah.


That's funny stuff there. Maybe there's a reason why so many people like this stuff.

OK, so it may not be my first choice, but every once and a while...I guess Country is OK...good...worth listening to...fun.

Fine! I admit it. I'm a closet Country admirer! I like Garth Brooks- he's like the "acceptable" country singer, most people won't hold that against me. But I also sing along with Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, and (gasp) Shania Twain.

I have two country stations preset in my truck, but only on the second series of Presets! I'm sorry to disappoint my friends and family.

I still prefer Rock, but every once in a while...I'm so sorry to disappoint everyone, really I am...I was just born this way. With lyrics like the ones I shared, how can one resist?

No comments: