Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Be COOL (Part 1)

Have you ever noticed that life is just not fair, or is it just me? Chances are today, something will happen to you that just isn't right. What are you going to do about it? My suggestion, and my writing over the next four days will be about how to be "cool' when things are not the way we want them.

C- Be Calm. When you react emotionally, you cause others to do as well. The outcome is seldom good. When things go bad, anger, frustration, and a slough of other negative feelings are what come out first. Check them! Calm down and really think of the consequences of the action done to you. This will set your mind in a logical state. Now think out your response and react, if required. It's possible that no reaction is the best reaction.

The other day, I was cut off while driving down the highway. I had to hit my brakes, as well as another car, almost causing a small pile-up as cars went every which way. I will guess you can imagine my first thought...and the second was to chase him down and express myself. In reality, there was nothing I could do to help the situation. I would have to drive equally bad just to catch up to him.

A couple of miles up the road there was a sudden stop and guess who rear-ended another car. I felt sorry for the one that got rearended, but I did wave at the other guy as I drove past. Life doesn't always serve poetic justice, but on that morning it did.

"A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures". Daniel Webster(1782 - 1852)

Be CALM when life's emotions are swinging in the negative direction. Your decisions are more clear and outcomes are more likely to work out in your favor...in the least, not against you.

No comments: