Friday, September 16, 2005

Cellular Blues

I am one of the six people that still do not carry a cell phone. It’s not that I do not want one, I just don’t want to pay for one…continually, month after month. In fact, I believe the phone to be somewhat of an annoyance, so to pay for the privalege of people calling whenever they want just really…well, it doesn’t inspire me to run out, buy a phone and sign a contract to give my money away.

What really bothers me about cell phones is the belief that cell phones are mandatory now. How can you not have a cell phone?? Maybe it’s because I am not a social butterfly. Maybe it’s because I still like to have places to which I can say, “sorry, I didn’t have a phone”. Maybe it’s still a money thing, but I still feel complete without a cell phone on my hip or held to my ear.

The handless phone jacks are annoying as well. I don’t know how many times I have tried to figure out why the lady at the store is asking me what I want for dinner, only to notice the little wire hanging from her ear and across her shoulder. When I was little I was taught not to stare at the people talking to themselves on the streets. I guess that rule still applies but I am running out of places to stare!

The conversations are not just about what soup to get either! Sometimes the conversations are so personal, I get embarrassed to listen not that I have a choice but to listen. Why it is required to talk twice as loud into a cell phone then what you would do in normal conversation? Is there really any status to be won by announcing to the world that you have a cell phone and you use it?

Have you noticed that it is now OK to be late to meetings? If you call on the way and say you’ll be 15 minutes late, the rest of us sitting in the meeting waiting have to excuse you. You did call and let us know so it must be all right.

Driving with a cell phone continues to be an issue. I guess when you’re using a phone: turn indicators are no longer required, lane markers lines are optional, and sudden lane changes should be anticipated. It used to be that if you saw a car swerving all over the road, one would assume that they were DUI, now we just assume they got a call.

One day, I will have a cell phone- it’s ineveitable. My only hope is that my common courtesy and self respect stay intact.

No comments: