Thursday, September 08, 2005

When to Say When

I actually did it! I made the right choice today. There are so many things happening at work today and I woke up early to get started. After showering, and dressing I was ready to make my way out of the house by 5 AM.

Before leaving, I always go in and kiss my wife, Marci, good-bye. I try not to wake her up too much, but enough that she remembers that I said good bye. I could tell she wasn't feeling good and I learned that she had been awake most of the night with a bad headache. I told her I would call her as soon as my training, that I was teaching, was over- sometime around noon. I could hear the "yeah, that helps a lot" in her voice.

I gathered my stuff and while walking out the door, I thought- "what priority did I just set?" Is my job more important then my family? Does anyone at work really care about training as much I care about my family? Does my work really expect me to sacrifice my family's needs for theirs? Do I?

I stopped and went back in to inform Marci that I was staying home and that she could relax and know she could get some rest. She of course tried to convince me that I shouldn't, but I insisted more strongly and I am staying. I'll call in later and take care of the business I can over the phone.

Lesson: Set your own priorities! Don't be irresponsible, as in don't loose your job and the ability to make a good life for you and yours over dumb things. Just know where your limits are. Everybody wants all of you all the time- but no one really expects it. They expect you to stay "when".

Today I said "when" and I am confident the consequences will be very manageable.

No comments: