Thursday, March 23, 2006

Yes Sir: Automation

Automation is a wonderful thing. It takes a lot of the brainwork and effort out of things. Among other things, automation saves time, money and personal injuries in factories, direct deposit (another form of automation) saves trips to the bank, and off course automatic sprinklers in your yard saves a lot of moving hoses and sprinklers around- as well as save water. The list could go on and on. Automation surrounds us everywhere.

My wife and I like to go to sleep with the TV on. The sleep mode on the TV is great. Before having a TV with a sleep function, one of us would eventually have to actually turn the TV off and I would then have go back to sleep without the TV on. It was very disruptive to "our" sleep habits.

Automation is a wonderful thing. I t allows us to accomplish the things that have to get done with minimal effort. In serving customers, automation can be equally wonderful. I don't mean everyone should use a robot (I've already covered the evils of non-human interaction) but we can use automation in customer service in three different ways:
1) Being prepared ahead of time.

2) Doing things on a schedule.

3) Anticipating problems.


Automation should make things easier for us and give the customer maximum results with minimum effort. I'll cover the three above mentioned areas over the next three days.

No comments: